Do you ever get into a friend’s car (who has kids) and wonder how they keep it SO clean? I did too until I asked said friend what her secret was. There were a handful of tips that she gave me that day that have made all the difference in the world. Get ready because these are life changers that are super simple to implement.
1. Silicone baking cups in the cup holders – Beverage holders take a beating. Between wrappers, coffee spills, crunched up snacks and whatever else gets left in them, our cup holders end up looking pretty disgusting. Silicone baking cups fit perfectly in most holders and they remove easily and wash right up. These are a must!
2. Car Organizer – When you’re a parent, there are “must have” items in your vehicle at all times. You can purchase a car organizer or simply create one by using a basket or crate. It keeps all those car essentials in one place so you don’t have to turn your car inside out looking for them during a small emergency.
3. Keep a trash receptacle in the car – Because kids are messy…..
4. Schedule a monthly maintenance session – I set aside a specific day each month to do a quick clean up and maintenance. Since I incorporate these other things as well, it really only takes me 15 minutes and I’m done.
5. Keep wet wipes on hand for a quick clean up (for fingers and hard surfaces) – To be honest, I’m not sure what people did before wet wipes. They might just be my favorite invention. They take care of little problems in a snap so they don’t become bigger issues later.
6. Keep carpets cleaned up to avoid food items being ground in or giving dirt a chance to take hold – This one just speaks for itself. When you get a chance, make sure to pick up or clean up the food offender. The longer it sits, the harder it is to clean later.
7. What goes in, must come out– Make sure coats, umbrellas and those stray shoes get taken back inside to avoid making your car look like an extra closet.
8. Snack Caddy or Container for food – Not eating in the car doesn’t work for a lot of family’s so I love the idea of using a small caddy to help keep grapes, crackers and little sandwiches in check .
9. Keep all documents together and in 1 place – The other day I was in a small fender bender while kids were in tow. Car accidents can be super nerve racking especially when you have little ones that are frightened. I was super glad that I knew exactly where all my insurance paperwork was without having to go on a scavenger hunt.
I’m telling you, follow these simple steps and you too will be keeping a much cleaner and organized family car!