Blog

Mold can grow in just about any home. The fact is that mold needs two things to thrive: moisture and darkness. That means that everywhere from your bathroom to your basement is at risk. Why is it so important to kill mold as soon as you see it starting to form?

Mold is accountable for everything from allergies to respiratory illnesses. In fact, it is one of the most common environmental allergens in homes. Of course, it defeats the purpose to use harmful cleaners in the home, so we have a few non-toxic solutions for your household.

A three percent hydrogen peroxide should be enough to kill mold. You can pick up an empty spray bottle and make your own solution. Soak the mold and give the peroxide about 10 minutes to work. Then you will want to scrub down the area and remove any traces of the mold. Even just a few spores will quickly begin to multiply again if they’re not killed.

Four out of five species of mold are susceptible to vinegar, so this is another viable option. Do not water down vinegar when using it to kill mold. You can put distilled white vinegar at full-strength into a spray bottle for use as a mold killer. Since vinegar works a little slower, you will want to leave the mold soaking for an hour or more. Even if you don’t love the smell of vinegar, at least it is not dangerous to breathe, and the smell generally dissipates within a few hours after you wipe it clear with water.

The best thing about baking soda for fighting mold is that it absorbs the moisture in which the mold needs to thrive. You can, however, create a solution of water and baking soda if you wish to spray the mold. Be sure to scrub the mold to remove it thoroughly. Even if you mix the baking soda with water, it should dry quickly. This allows you to spray down the area after cleaning to prevent future mold growth.

The advantages of killing mold with peroxide, vinegar, and baking soda are that they are all non-toxic and inexpensive. In fact, you probably have all three in your home right now.